Everyone flying from Halifax Stanfield must go through security screening before entering the Departures area. The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) is responsible for security screening of passengers and their belongings.
At security screening, passengers will be asked to show photo identification. Travellers flying to international destinations, including the United States, must have a valid passport.
CATSA may also ask passengers to go through full-body scanning as an additional security measure for secondary screening in select Canadian airports, including Halifax. Click here for more details.
CATSA determines what can or cannot be taken aboard an aircraft for both checked and carry-on luggage. For more packing tips from CATSA, visit their page, What Can I Bring?
For more general information about security screening, visit CATSA’s website.
Verified Traveller Program
An improved security-screening experience at Halifax Stanfield.
The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority’s (CATSA) Verified Traveller program provides travellers who have undergone extensive background checks with added benefits at select security screening checkpoints.
Those who qualify as Verified Travellers include cardholders or members of the following groups:
- Global Entry
- Air crew / Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) holders
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) / Police
The Verified Traveller program comes with multiple benefits including a designated queue and screening line during peak hours, 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and front-of-the-line service at all other times.
Verified travellers are also permitted to leave items in their carry-on and on their person.
Learn more on the Verified Traveller program and hours of operation.
At Halifax Stanfield, we want to ensure you enjoy your time with us to the fullest, which is why we are thrilled to help enhance your journey with YHZ Express, an online reservation program to book your spot in our domestic/international security screening line.
- YHZ Express is free to all travellers departing through the domestic/international terminal and security screening checkpoint.
- Reservations and walk-up appointments are available.
- The checkpoint will be open from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- You can book your spot in the security screening lineup for yourself or up to 5 people in your group.
- You can arrive up to 5 minutes before or after your scheduled reservation time.